Preparing and Empowering the
“Over 40” Worker for Career Opportunities in the New Economy
Post a Resume
Post a Job
4139 El Camino Way
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Application Closing Date
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
Annual Reviews (AR) is a nonprofit publisher that provides authoritative syntheses and analysis, in the physical, life, and social sciences. AR reviews, written and edited by trusted experts, help advance scientific discovery and stimulate discussion across a broad range of research areas; they are among the most highly-cited publications in the scholarly literature.
We are currently seeking an Associate Editor for our new digital magazine which will explore the real-world significance of research in a compelling and accessible way. This position will play an important role in the creation of written and multimedia magazine content, including conceptualizing, commissioning, editing, writing and recording content, as well as working with freelancers across a wide variety of scientific disciplines.
Key responsibilities include:
• Assisting in the development and implementation of a publishing calendar that provides balanced, insightful and entertaining coverage of the fields covered by Annual Reviews. Helping to determine the best medium for covering each item of content.
• Serving as member of internal Editorial Committee that also includes the Senior Editor, Director of Production, Associate Editor-in-Chief and President of AR.
• Assisting in the development of a panel of outstanding freelance contributors and interacting periodically with this group on ideas for developing and improving the digital magazine, including discussions on specific article ideas.
• Working with our Senior Editor to commission and review art and original graphics and commission and edit articles, podcasts and videos from freelance (and in-house) contributors, maintaining smooth copy flow and ensuring that all content and artwork meets the highest editorial standards and is both clear and scientifically accurate.
• Contributing content to the AR digital magazine, including written, video and audio items.
• Participating in the periodic assessment of the quality and impact of AR magazine content, including tracking metrics on a consistent basis. and adapting appropriately.
Qualified candidates must have:
• A minimum of 5 years of experience editing natural or social sciences content
• Experience or training in journalism and a strong understanding of journalistic values and best practices
• Experience in writing or other communication of science for a broad range of audiences
• Experience and enthusiasm for working with freelance journalists
• Demonstrated superior editing, writing and proofreading skills
• Demonstrated ability to conceptualize compelling, original story ideas with appeal to a broad audience
• Commitment to accuracy and precision in language
• Ability to work with artists and designers to create information-rich visuals
• Understanding of journalistic ethics and issues
• Advanced proficiency using Word, Excel, Acrobat, and database software
• Strong social media and multimedia skills including familiarity with photo-editing, audio-editing and video-editing software
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact, and a strong command of the English language
• A professional demeanor and the ability to develop and maintain long-term business relationships
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
• Digital experience with website CMS systems or multimedia modules (e.g. Tableau) strongly preferred
• Experience in podcasts and videos and an understanding of the online content ecosystem strongly preferred
• Ability to travel up to 5% of time
• B.A./B.S. in the field of natural or social sciences preferred
Annual Reviews offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including a business casual work environment, a great health benefits package, personal enrichment benefits, gym reimbursement, a tuition reimbursement program, a matching gifts program, regular employee events and celebrations, free on-site yoga and meditation classes, and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
If you possess the above requirements, please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at:
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, mental and physical disability, medical condition, age, and protected Veteran status.
If, because of your disability, you require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4139 El Camino Way
Palo Alto CA 94306
View All Jobs From This Employer
Copyright © 2017
All Rights Reserved.