Preparing and Empowering the
“Over 40” Worker for Career Opportunities in the New Economy
Post a Resume
Post a Job
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Printing / Publishing
Application Closing Date
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
Annual Reviews, a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society, has an opening for a FT Reporter/Producer with our soon-to-be launched digital magazine. The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the Senior Editor to create, produce and share content aimed at a general, science literate audience. The reporter/producer will report and write briefs and other shorter items for digital magazine; coordinate and create social media content; assist with finding and preparing art and graphics; post content on website; and assist the editors with editorial and administrative tasks as needed. The position is located in our Palo Alto, Calif., office, and reports to the Senior Editor.
Annual Reviews offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including a business casual work environment, a great health benefits package, personal enrichment benefits, gym reimbursement, a tuition reimbursement program, a matching gifts program, regular employee events and celebrations, free on-site yoga and meditation classes, and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
Key responsibilities include:
• Review journal content and pitch, report and write briefs and short articles on a broad array of scientific topics, producing 1 to 5 pieces per week.
• Plan, write, edit, and schedule posts for Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and other social platforms, producing multiple posts per day. Coordinate regularly with editors, freelance writers and Marketing Department staff to ensure regular flow of content.
• Produce magazine content for publication, including finding and prepping art to accompany articles, reviewing and rewriting headlines for SEO, fact-checking when necessary, proofreading content, and posting content to website.
• Assist editors with various administrative tasks including responding to reader feedback.
• Report and/or research various scientific topics to assist in the preparation of longer-term video, podcast and infographic projects.
Qualified candidates must have:
• A graduate degree in science or science communication with at least 1 year of science journalism experience or BA/BS in science or journalism with 2-3 years journalism experience covering science or biomedicine
• Advanced proficiency in MS Word
• Prior experience working with CMS systems/basic HTML
• Experience in Adobe Photoshop (ability to crop and resize pictures)
• Excellent verbal, written & interpersonal communication skills
• A strong work ethic, professional demeanor and ability to communicate effectively with academics
• Strong news judgment and eye for compelling stories that would be of broad interest
• Ability to read and understand technical scientific articles and figures
• Ability to report and write clear and compelling articles on tight deadlines
• Experience with and familiarity with social media practices, sound judgment about use of appropriate tone and voice on social media, and how to respond to negative comments
• Knowledge of best practices of SEO
• Strong interviewing skills and organizational skills
• Positive, can-do attitude & ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Ability to analyze situations effectively, prioritize tasks, work independently, and self-manage
• Ability to travel up to 5% of time
If you possess the above requirements, please submit your cover letter, 3-5 published clips, and your resume
by applying online at: http://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ANNUALREVIEWS&cws=1&rid=80
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, mental and physical disability, medical condition, age, and protected Veteran status.
If, because of your disability, you require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at: email@example.com.
Copyright © 2017
All Rights Reserved.